Diego Zandrino (47) spent most of his life in football and media as a journalist, a job that began appearing in local radio stations in La Plata, his hometown. Today and for 14 years, FIFA has been providing content related to the various consequences of football, which are disseminated through the organization's communication platforms, from the traditional website (www.fifa.com), his vast knowledge and proven dedication have transformed him into Team reporter (FIFAWWC_ARG ) or an expert in the representation of Argentina in the Women's World Championship, which will take place on July 7 in France, where he will carry out the task of transferring what is seen to the public, but basically what the Argentinian team does not.
Zandrino gave an interview All passion In addition to telling how he took his place in FIFA, he revealed every detail of the Team Reporter project, the big FIFA plant, to turn the French Cup in 2019 into the "World's Most Digital World Cup".
– How did you work with FIFA?
– I came there 14 years ago on the recommendation of a friend who is still my boss, Argentine journalist Alejandro Varsky. My way in the media began in 1993, when I was working on low-power radio sets in La Plata and then on the cable channel, and in 1999, when the internet boom started, they called me to work on the football website and there where I was coordinating the work of Alejandro Varsky & # 39; ego, who then invited me to work at FIFA and is still my boss as the Content Group Leader in the FIFA digital transformation and innovation department. Today I belong to the network of editors responsible for some of the content coordinated from Zurich (NdR: in this city Switzerland is the seat of FIFA).
– What is your homework?
-My office is a computer with the internet, I work in my home in Argentina, I live in City Bell, and my task begins with generating content, until the publication of the same on the website and various FIFA platforms. I generate content in Spanish (www.fifa.com), which ultimately translates into the languages for which this note was intended (NDR: Spanish is one of the four official languages of the organization along with English, German and French).
– What is Team Reporter, an ambitious FIFA project for the World Women's Championships?
– The project is three years old. It started in the Confederation Cup 2017 and it was a pilot test, because there were eight teams, each of which was covered by the reporter. Since then, the idea was to contact people from each country taking part in the event that was to be played, and then appeared in the World Cup in Russia, when the expert was selected for each selection. In this case, the Women's World Cup, the selection of experts for each team was based on the search for people who knew about women's football in their countries and who had the opportunity to say what FIFA wants in this project.
–What does FIFA want from Team Reporters?
– The idea of the project is to make the relationship a little more relaxed, closer to the user and his language, tell a little more about the scenes. On the one hand, there is a traditional website for certain things, we have FIFA TV for others, but what we do for three tournaments is generating empathic content or more informal than what is created for other platforms.
– And what do you think about relations with national staff?
"It will be my job to say what is happening with Argentina first hand. I'm in France and I'm moving with a group of three other people who come from FIFA TV, wherever there is a national delegation. The idea is to show users as much of the campus's privacy as possible, whether with a photo, video or text. We do not want to compete with more formal content, but we attach a new point of view and generate content mainly for the needs twitter but at the same time some content that can be used on each of the digital platforms we have.
– What is a Live Blog?
– This is another of the big FIFA bets for this World Cup. This is a very interesting product. AND live blog thanks to which the user can follow the game and have experience with a second screen for each of the 52 World Cup matches in which you will find an analysis of matches of 24 Team Reports, films, statistics, photos and major events, everything in real time. The advantage of blogs is this If you're an Argentinian and want to know, for example, what's going on with Scotland, England or Japan, you'll find it there from Team Reporter in Spanish. For the first time, this type of coverage takes place in the Women's World Cup.
– Will France 2019 be the most digitized World Cup ever?
This is a great pursuit and that is why the individual provides most of his structure. In fact, by comparing the reach team that was at the 2015 World Cup in Canada, to what we have in France in 2019, the number of people is seven times higher. There is a choice of Team Reporter, but everyone has their own editor, programmers, coordinators, project team, logistics work, with a group of people responsible for moving 24 journalists around France.
The goal: the best user experience
"An important thing in the World Cup's coverage is that the user will be able to choose what kind of content he wants, and at the same time will have a Live Blog where he will find all the materials together. This is a very strong proposition. In addition, we know that the first screen is TV, both the mobile phone and the computer will be taken into account when creating content that will be for these shorter, more readable cases, but knowing that the latter are still considered the second screens, Then, when a person watches the Selection by TV match, I tell him in other devices and show him, for example, to a player who gets hot, that the TV camera does not give it to you, or if I can take a picture from my place, how the equipment stops, it will also be available to the user, things in which the transmission does not stop. Any place that a conventional camera can not reach will have the voice of an expert. "
– What is the analysis of what can happen to Argentina in the World Cup?
– I think that the performance of the national team must be part of the process experienced by women's football in Argentina. We must remember that the team had almost two years without competition and did not even have rankings, so expectations must be supported on this side. Do you have to be an optimist? Yes, you must be optimistic, but you must be a realist because while Argentina did not take part, there were selections that were developing very well. Nevertheless, these players, or many of them, are part of the previous process to stop the activity of the project managed by the same technician, Carlos Borrello. There are competitors from the U20 World Cup in 2012 and in 2008. This means that it was a process that was interrupted, but despite all, despite two years of interruption there was a foundation and on this basis we worked and reached the World Cup when few people believed it.
–What is the perception of other countries returning Argentina to the World Cup?
– "The fact that the national team returned to the Cup after 12 years it did not go unnoticed, especially because Argentina has taken the place of a country that has long focused on the development of women's football, such as Colombia. Argentina was already in its place, and it caught the attention of a few. In addition, the reality of women's football is obvious today, at this level no one will think that it's easy to beat Argentina who has representatives in Europe, others who have gained experience in the United States and others who were masters in our country.
To follow Diego Zandrino with the news of Argentina in the Women's World Cup France 2019: @FIFAWWC_ARG