Tuesday , June 15 2021

Dengvaxia phobia reduces immunization – Negros Chronicle



DOH TEAM: Dr. Pauline Cortes, head of DOH7 Family Health; Dr. Liland Estacion, Asst Provl Health Officer NegOR; Ligaya Monwa, information officer; Ruff Vince Valodevieso; Bernadine Hayang, specialist in health promotion.

The Department of Health 7 Department agreed that the measles vaccination program in four provinces of Cebu, Siquijor, Bohol and Negros Oriental was trapped by the Dengvaxia controversy in Manila, which created a false phobia among mothers in rural areas.

The Department of Health noted: NO DENGVAXIA VACCINE has reached Negros Oriental and other provinces of Visayas, so there are no dangerous consequences in our region.

This false phobia has been so cascading that even a series of measles vaccinations have a negative effect and have diminished due to the refusal of public vaccination.

"We have a big problem with our vaccination program due to Dengvaxia controversy since last year, so we need the help of the media to inform our people in disseminating information that a measles vaccine is safe, strong and effective because over three decades ago, no major side effects, "says Dr. Socrates Villamor from the DOH regional unit in a press briefing.

HTML5 icon

Dr Liland Estaccion, health inspector in the Asst province, also revealed that since the last quarter of 2017, the number of cases of measles in the Negros Oriental is increasing, DOH is conducting an additional vaccination campaign (SIA) or Ligtas Tigdas Plus in the whole region and the whole country in this regard from October 22 to November 23 this month.

Measles or "tipdas" in the mother tongue is a highly contagious disease that can infect 18 to 20 others in one day from one person.

The target population for measles vaccination activity is children from 6 months to 59 months and another dose of oral poliomyelitis vaccine for children from the age of zero to one year to prevent the spread of the virus.

Assistant health inspector, Dr. Liland Estacion, reported that from November 3, 2018 in the province there were 169 total measles cases recorded without deaths compared to only 12 cases in the same period last year or an increase of 1 308 percent compared with victims from one year to 44 years old.

At the top of the list is Dumaguete City with 47 cases of measles, followed by Bacong with 28 mailboxes, Sibulan 18, Bayawan 11, Siaton 10, Sta. Catalina 6, Ayungon and Tanjay City, 5 boxes, Bais City, Mabinay, Pamplona, ​​San Jose and Tayasan, 4 cases each, 3 cases: Amlan, Dauin, LaLibertad 3, Jimalalud, Valencia and Vallehermoso 2, when Bindoy, Canlaon Town, Manjuyod and Zamboanguita, with one after each measles.

Under the DOH parameters, even with one confirmed case of measles, an epidemic of measles is declared.

A low turnout was recorded in terms of the number of children vaccinated with measles vaccine at the end of last year due to controversy, and perhaps because vaccinations were selective only for those lacking vaccines, according to Dr. Estacion.

In one case, from the target of 90 children in one public school in Negros Oriental, only one parent signed the agreement that his child would receive measles vaccine. The same applies to other schools during the school's vaccination program.

In the province of Siquijor, health inspector Mrs. Daisy Boac, reported a total of 47 cases of measles from January to October this year. She said that the supplemental immunization was carried out in October 22 this year up in 12 baragnays in the municipality of Siquijor and in one barangay in the city of Maria.

For Dumaguete, City Health Officer Dr. Ma. Sarah Talla said about 47 cases of measles in the city, only 30 were confirmed, the youngest victim is five months old and the oldest at 39 months and 19 was adult.

In 16 barangayes of the city, where measles cases prevail, vaccination is carried out, so 1,065 children have been vaccinated or about 11.2 percent of the target population.

Dr. Jeanette Pauline Cortes, Medical Officer of DOH IV, further explained that the measles and polio vaccines used in this country are the same vaccines used in other countries around the world from the 1970s to the present for almost four decades, which have been very effective. and safe without reported complications.

She added that even when the Philippines are recognized as polio-free since 2000, there is a risk that other countries are not at risk and the risk is excellent and the only way to prevent vaccination is.
Dr Cortes revealed that measles per se can be cured, but when it gets complicated, it will lead to death due to pneumonia, infection of the brain and ears, and the only way to protect it is immunization.

She asks mothers to protect their children against measles and polio, transferring them permanently to vaccinations in their areas, because one case can infect 18-20 people a day. If nothing is done, it will be the worst scenario ahead of us


Source link