KIEV, 10 November. / Tass /. Today, the law on the transfer of the church of St. Andrew in the center of Kiev for constant use of the Patriarchate Council of Constantinople.
"The law comes into force on the day following its publication," says the law. The document was published in the official publication of the Verkhovna Rada "Voice of Ukraine" on November 9.
By law, the church is transferred to the "free, permanent use" of the Patriarchate of Constantinople for the purpose of performing services, religious ceremonies, ceremonies and processions. Using the church of St. Andrzej through the Patriarchate of Constantinople will be conducted in accordance with the legislation of Ukraine on the protection of cultural heritage.
Church of St. Andrzej is a monument of church architecture built in the style of Russian Baroque. It was submitted at the request of the Empress Elżbieta Petrowna. Built in 1749-1754 according to the design of architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli. The construction was led by the Moscow architect Ivan Michurin. According to legend, the Apostle Andrew once erected a cross in the place of the church, anticipating the appearance of a large Christian city. Services were held there during visits of the royal family in Kiev. In September 1968, the church became a museum. In the years 1992-2000, he was closed to a restaurant.
In May 2008, At this time in the secretariat, current President Viktor Yushchenko decided to move the church of St. Andrzej from the balance sheet of the National Reserve Sofia Kijowska to the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church (UAOC). Soon, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kiev Patriarchate expressed its claims to the Church of St. Andrzej, accusing UAOC of not being able to keep the church in the right form. The church was again closed for reconstruction, which is still in progress, and the head of the UAOC, Makaria, performed a service on the church's stairs.
Church of St. Andrew is part of the Sofia Kievskaya National Reserve. In connection with the transfer of the church to the Patriarchate of Constantinople, the press service of the Ministry of Culture stated that it remains state property and will continue to be in balance of the reserve, and the agreement on the use of the monument will be signed with representatives of the patriarchate.
The autocephalous process
The Patriarchate of Constantinople, at the meeting of the Synod on October 9-11, announced that it was beginning the process of autocephaly broadcasting to the church of Ukraine. He rescinded the decision of 1686, to move the Kiev Metropolis to the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate and announced the restoration of Stavropy in Kiev (the status of subordination directly to the Patriarch of Constantinople). A decision was also made to remove the anathema from the heads of two non-canonical churches in Ukraine – Filaret from the Kiev Patriarchate and Makarusa of the Ukrainian Autocephalous Church.
In response to these actions, the Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church on October 15 decided that it would be impossible to continue the Eucharistic communion (joint ministry of liturgy) with Constantinople.