Wednesday , September 30 2020
Home / unitedstates / High school football teams in New Jersey play with the death of a 10-year-old

High school football teams in New Jersey play with the death of a 10-year-old


PHILADELPHY – A traumatic week for the Pleasantville community in New Jersey became tragic on Wednesday when they learned that a 10-year-old boy who had been shot in the neck during a Friday playoff match against Camden, Micah Tennant, had died.

"We found out this morning," ESPN defender Pleasantville and runaway Ernest Howard, who wore number 10 in honor of Tennant, when the game resumed at Lincoln Financial Field on Wednesday afternoon. "Our trainer told us. He gathered us in the audience. Just sad, angry, angry, many things happen in our minds. We have a game to be won the same day. There was a lot to do that day. "

It was against this dark background that the teams finished the match at the Philadelphia Eagles stadium. After the shooting, Eagles entered and offered their home when they learned that Pleasantville and Camden were looking for a neutral place.

Ernest Howard of Pleasantville High School and Imir Catoe of Camden take a photo before Wednesday's match at Lincoln Financial Field. Howard wore number 10 in honor of 10-year-old Michea Tennant, who died after a shootout in a play-off match between teams. Tim McManus / ESPN

The eagles gave them a red carpet. They sent coaches to pick up the teams and take them to the stadium. When the players arrived, they entered the locker room to find personalized name plates on the stalls.

About a dozen members of the Eagles, including Carson Wentz, Malcolm Jenkins, Zach Ertz and Fletcher Cox welcomed players before the game. Then came the NFL style entrance, along with smoke machines lining the tunnel entrance when they ran out to AC / DC For For About About Rock.

"It is an honor for us to host both schools today," said Don Ełles, president of Smolensk. "I hope it could be something that they remember in a positive way in their lives."

"These children needed something uplifting," added Pleasantville coach Chris Sacco.

The teams gathered in the middle of the field before the start of the match in a moment of silence for Tennant, and the announcer said: "We're joining Micah's family to show that violence is not winning."

Tennant's mother, Angela Tennant, sent him to a Facebook post using the screen name 'Dew'.

"This kid was such a different Great Personality … Big Smile and Big Dreams!" She wrote. "I would never have thought in a million years that this would be my life. I am glad that my edifice raised me as she did. Only thanks to God of Grace and Mercy do I stand high for my boyfriend! Rosa will never let anyone forget you, as I always sweat you, I will continue. My Jody, I love you forever. "

New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy mourned the boy's death on Wednesday in a Twitter post.

"No child deserves to have his promising life shortened, especially by mass and senseless violence from arms," ​​said the governor. "None of the parents deserve to bury their child. We will keep Dew's memory close and remember his name as we continue to work to make New Jersey safer for all our families.

Wentz discussed shooting at a press conference a few hours before Wednesday's match.

"Very difficult situation. It's a tragedy in itself, "said Wentz, according to WPVI-TV in Philadelphia. "It's really unfortunate that it happened in a public place like it did during a football match. It's a Friday night light. It's something that kids dream of having fun. It's something I will cherish for the rest of my life playing on Friday evening light.

The charges against the suspected gunslinger have been modernized to murder. He also faces two attempts at prosecution for murder and weapons. Two other people were injured as a result of the shooting; The 27-year-old man was shot and the 15-year-old boy was grazed. Six men were charged, including being shot.

On Friday, about 17 minutes remained, when shots rang out and the match stopped at the stadium in Pleasantville, near Atlantic City.

Wednesday's match, won by Camden 22-0, was not open to the public. Part of the bottom bowl on both sides of the stadium was filled with selected family and friends. On Camden's side, the school band played when cheerleaders chanted and the mascot ran along the sideline. Pleasantville's funeral site was much more subdued.

"It is definitely hard to accept that we have suffered this loss today, but it is more important because we came here and continued to fight and gave our heart for Micah on this wonderful stage that the Eagles offered us," said Howard.

Source link